The Darwin award will have to wait another day. A Michigan man caused a fire at a suburban Detroit gas pump by putting a lighter to what he says was a spider near his fuel door, but thanks to the clerks quick actions was able escaped unharmed.
WJBK-TV reports (http://bit.ly/1Fqtbo5 ) Saturday that he escaped injury and his vehicle suffered little damage, but the gas pump was destroyed. A clerk shut off the pump from indoors and called the fire department.
The motorist can be heard on the surveillance video at the Center Line station asking: “Is that a spider in there?” The video then shows flames erupting along the car’s side, the pump and the pavement.
The man darts to safety and later uses a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. A spider is not seen.
The clerk says the man apologized the next day.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
Linda Huthmaker says
What a total idiot!
Turd Ferguson says
Did he manage to git dat there spider?