Critics of President Barack Obama’s administration and the response of-then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to the 2012 Benghazi terror attacks have long awaited the results of the House Benghazi Committee’s investigation.
And it looks like today is judgment day.
Republicans on the House Benghazi Committee faulted the Obama administration today in a report on the deadly 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya — and said the president’s administration lied when they deflected blame from Islamic terrorists.
“The claim that the fatal 2012 Benghazi terrorist attacks were sparked by an anti-Muslim video was crafted in Washington by Obama administration appointees and reflected neither eyewitness nor real-time reports from the Americans under siege,” Fox News reported.
According to CNN, the newly released report “paints a picture of a perfect storm of bureaucratic inertia, rapidly worsening security in Libya and inadequate resources in the months that led up to the killings of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three colleagues on September 11, 2012.”
Among the new revelations is that Stevens — along with the other three Americans killed in the terror attack — were in Benghazi with the aim of establishing a permanent diplomatic post, to replace the temporary one that had previously come under fire, The Hill’s Julian Hattem reported.
“Military forces also appeared to have gotten lost or misinterpreted on their way down the chain, the report claims. And the Libyan forces that eventually evacuated the surviving Americans from the CIA annex were in fact former loyalists of deposed strongman Moammar Gaddafi, and not militia groups with a previous relationship with the U.S.,” Hattem wrote Tuesday.
The panel’s chairman, Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, and other Republicans accuse the Obama administration of stonewalling important documents and witnesses. Democrats say the panel’s primary goal is to undermine Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid.
The Libya attacks became immediate political fodder, given their timing in the weeks before President Barack Obama’s re-election, and that has not abated despite seven previous congressional investigations. There has been finger-pointing on both sides over security at the U.S. diplomatic outpost in Benghazi and whether the White House initially tried to portray the assault as a protest over an offensive, anti-Muslim video, instead of a calculated terrorist attack.
Democrats admitted in their own report Monday that the State Department’s security measures in Benghazi the night of Sept. 11, 2012 were “woefully inadequate,” but insisted Clinton never personally turned down a request for additional security.
Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, who helped write the Republican report, told CNN that “too little effort was made to protect” Stevens and the others. “We didn’t move Heaven and Earth to get help to the people who were fighting for their lives,” he said.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.